Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Summer Series: A Pop of Color


 
There is nothing more summery or happier than the subject of today’s blog post. The summer after I graduated high school, before I started college, I took a summer job at one of the happiest places on earth. The Ivy Restaurant. For those who know about The Ivy, you know. You know how great it is. For those of you who don’t know, I’m gonna tell you how great it is.

How did I even know about The Ivy Restaurant all the way in West LA living in the boondocks of Malibu? My mother, of course. She was knee-deep in decorating our house and would spend most of her days at the Big Blue Whale, the design mecca of Los Angeles. When I wasn’t in school, my mother would take me with her to choose fabrics, furniture, flooring etc. After all of my hard work as a child slave, she would treat me to lunch at The Ivy as it was only a hop skip and jump away from The Design Center.

The Ivy is a little charming restaurant smack dab in the middle of everything that I hate about Los Angeles.… Trendy shops, flashy cars, paparazzi junkies, denim bars, giant boobs, inflated lips, spectacular egos, fake gilt and bad hardwood floors. If you can weed your way through all of that and get to The Ivy, your journey was worth it. The Ivy transports you to somewhere better… A combination of English country, French Provençal and Italian Dolce Vita.

 
My job at The Ivy, albeit short-lived because I had to go to stupid college, was hostess with the mostess. The best time at The Ivy is in the morning when no customers are there. I would arrive at 10 AM, have a delicious warm milky café au lait, head upstairs to the offices and start fielding phone calls from assistants of celebrities who wanted to have lunch at The Ivy. I would mostly roll my eyes and wonder why movie stars were considered the end-all and be-all (except Catherine Deneuve, obviously, because she is the end-all and be-all). I secretly wished that the restaurant was only filled with my friends and my idea of superstars… Decorators. But alas, this wasn’t to happen and the restaurant was filled every day with the Who’s Who of Los Angeles (and my friend’s hoity-toity mothers). I just pretended like they weren’t there and I had this little restaurant all to myself admiring every inch of it.

My favorite part of the day was just before the customers arrived and lunch was served for the staff. Home-cooked, warm, homey, family-style lunches with all of the waiters, office staff and kitchen staff. Fresh fish with rice, grilled vegetables with herbs and of course The Ivy famous apple tarte tartin. After that, the circus began. I doubt there has never been a day when The Ivy has never been at full capacity. You just can’t beat its charm. Little brick cottage, aged picket fence, patio filled with well loved furniture, vintage French linens, terra-cotta pots filled with hot pink and red geraniums, little pots of violets. And roses roses roses!

The cozy interior painted with mustard yellow walls, blue willow platters on the walls, fireplace (even if it’s Southern California), cozy chairs and checks and florals everywhere. It’s basically the house of your well-traveled eclectic European great aunt. In reality, it’s the brainchild of owner Lynn Von Kersting and her husband, chef Ron Irving.

 
 
 
 


And then there is the menu! An eclectic mix of American and Italian cuisine which just translates to delicious. If you’re going to spend your whole day in superficial LA, you might as well start it right at The Ivy with organic coffee (of course) and a Santa Barbara Crab Benedict with Homemade Sriracha English Muffin with Herbed Hollandaise Sauce.

 


If I were you, after buying 14 pairs of skinny jeans at the neighborhood shops, head back to The Ivy for the best lunch in Los Angeles while repeating a few Hail Marys begging God to forgive you for your momentary lapse into “the scene” and your momentary questioning of, “Should I get Juvenderm?” Don’t beat yourself up too badly, we’ve all been there. If you didn’t crumble and buy the quintessential “I might be a prostitute” Louboutin 8 inch high heels, reward yourself with the natural beef hamburger with, bacon, brie, and crispy basil on a homemade sun-dried tomato brioche bun with truffle French fries and garlic-basil aioli (but only after you’ve had the famous Ivy crabcakes). Wash all of this down with The Ivy gimlet made with vodka, fresh lime and homegrown mint. Or try my husband’s favorite Cajun Bloody Mary with fiery red and green peppers grown in the restaurant’s garden. My daughter Gracie’s favorite is the made-to-order Caesar salad. I don't care if you are a supermodel or a movie star, it would be a sin to forgo the desserts. Homemade Profiteroles with homemade pistachio, caramel, and praline gelato with house specialty hot fudge sauce. And don’t forget that Apple Tarte Tartin.

 
 



 
One thing I wish I would have bought and dragged to Paris with me is The Ivy dinnerware. Hand-painted florals on earthy ceramic. Couldn’t be more charming.



If you love the look of this whole restaurant, you will be pleased to know that just next door, yes next door, you can basically “shop the look” at the Ivy owned, Indigo Seas shop. I like to call this “my happy place.” An explosion of color and cultures, Indigo Seas will brighten any mood. Turquoise linen chairs, hot pink pillows, red metal buckets filled with bougainvillea, vintage paintings, eclectic accessories and everything you might need to bring The Ivy home to you. Indigo Seas’ Instagram account is candy for your eyes! Follow HERE. Take a look.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 


But wait, there’s more, the good just keeps getting better. The Ivy also has another restaurant at the beach called, surprise, Ivy at the Shore.



There is also a darling Ivy owned sidewalk café, Dolce Isola, where you can pop in for a delicious well priced lunch and mouthwatering desserts in the same Ivy environment.



Even if you’ve been to The Ivy once or 1000 times, it never loses its charm. My dream would be to reserve the whole restaurant, invite all y’all, have one too many Gimlet’s, order one of everything on the menu and then go next door and blow all of my money on furniture and accessories at Indigo Seas.

Sound like a plan?
www.theivyrestaurants.com
 
Only a little bit of summer left. Boo-hoo, but it ain’t over yet. Stay tuned for the next Summer Series. Hint: Maillot.

26 comments:

  1. most difinently my kind of place, did I see some cornbread up there! Love cornbread any way or fashion it is made!
    XO to you Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was there on my birhday! A little oasis in the middle of super cool West LA.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Ivy, haven't been in years thank you for a walk down memory lane! I am sitting in a conference room at the Shearton in Minneapolis and should be listening to the speaker but not very interested in what he is saying, and was so happy to view the wonderful pictures. Looking forward to heading out of here in a few hours (home to Chicago, not the Ivy).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a place I am happy to learn about. Also - beautiful images with enough color to keep me stimulated for days. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the throw back Ellie . Ivy at the Shore for lunch , Trader Vics bar for dinner after the 'ol paycheck arrived !
    Loved the images - forgot all about the crab cakes ! Hugs , A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to go to Trader Vic's and have the Scorpion and smoke cigarettes. That was in high school but I just realized I was definitely under 18 years old. Crazy. I would kill Grace if she did the things that I did.

      Delete
  6. I could just move right in. So beautiful, and the menu....inspired.
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love The Ivy, her store, and her books are fabulous! I am thinking that you worked there at the same time as my dearest friend Tom Bailey, one of the funniest people to ever live...?
    💙Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know your friend Tom but if he's funny, I already like him. :-)

      Delete
  8. Thinking I have to plan a trip now to LA! I remember The Ivy from the funny movie Monster in Law! Looks fabulous. Love and hugs to you Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have only been there one time, then next door to indigo seas. Just so charming . Now to buy those charming dishes,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is just a super happy-inducing post, you are right!! And it is funny because for years I would hear of all of the movie stars going to The Ivy and this is pretty much the opposite of what I pictured. So charming, wow. The found sounds sooo goood to me right now but I would have to go to Dolce Isola because it would be the only one I could afford!

    La Contessa went to the Ivy for her birthday not too long ago and wrote about it on her blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My heart skips a beat when I wake up in the morning and see your blog in my inbox. I always know that I am about to enter a chic world of fun. Your ability to engage so many readers is pure genius. Besides igniting my mornings, you are always in my prayers.
    Thank you, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, please! I'd love to go! My favorite kind of food and what a charming look. Thanks for describing it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great plan!! I have not been there and now am lusting over their food, atmosphere and the shops!
    Delicious looking beyond! A breath of fresh air! Thank you Ellie!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your constant inspiration! I just finished a mini marathon of"Odd Mom Out" and am in withdrawal. Can't wait for more. You are a continual source of oohs snd aaahs, thank you for sharing your view on the world! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in, Ellie. I want to go there right now. I am hungry and I need to shop at Indigo Seas. Just say the word.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I may never make it to the Ivy in person but you have just taken me there with your wonderful photos and descriptions. I hope you make it back to the Ivy at least one more time!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE YOUR IDEA about TAKING the whole place over.............I had that thought too for the birthday!I have to TELL you this week I got a lovely parcel in the mail from a woman who sent me a necklace that was TOO big for her stature.Let me quote HER!"I will be eternally grateful for you recommending the blog HAVE SOME DECORUM .After the first post I read it and thought where has she been all my LIFE!"I don't know which made me SMILE More this phrase or the new piece of jewelry!!I FEEL The same way...........the way you write and what you talk about is SO GRAND on SO MANY LEVELS.I ADORE YOU!The fact you worked at THE IVY is the icing on the cake!!!!
    PS.Sipping a LATTE out of an IVY cup right NOW!!!! sending a BIG BACI A TE!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Ellie, You may have heard already, but on the news today, I heard that 220 million dollars has been raised for ALS, here in America, with the bucket of cold water, that many had poured on top of their heads.donating $. I thought of you right away, and I pray that maybe this might in some way be of help to you. Hugs and prayers being sent your way..Bonnie in Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like a very charming place, I love all the color. I'm catching up, haven't been able to look at blogs for a couple days from my phone. Went to Sprint and they have no idea why??? Anyway, will read your other posts now.Big hug to you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have loved going to The Ivy for at least the last 30 years. I love everything about it - the cabbage rose fabrics, the beautiful fresh flowers and bountiful bowls of fresh citrus...and the Ivy Gimlet! I went for my birthday this year with my whole family, three generations who all love The Ivy. We were seated in between Larry Flynt (who was also celebrating his birthday) and The Vanderpumps (including the little dog wearing a green satin ball gown - not kidding!). I was sad to see that they have done away with the charming fabric-covered menus in favor of a regular menu cover - as a hostess I'm sure you will remember those cute covers. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the Ivy. My husband reserved a private room for my 40th birthday and it was a beautiful party. When the Ivy first came on the scene, I remember how original Lyn Von Kirstig's style and vision were. Even now, 30 years later I still have many beautiful things from her store in my house. I no longer live in LA, but I remember fondly all the lunches I enjoyed over the years with my girlfriends and the couples evenings spent at the Ivy where it was hard to stop staring at the walls, flowers and crockery. Utterly charming and a feast for every sense!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adore the Ivy * feel special when I've eaten there....its one of my happy places when I visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi where can you get there plates(dinnerware)???

    ReplyDelete